George W. Carter, merchant and farmer, Hearn, Ark.
Mr. Carter occupies an advanced position among the representative
farmers and merchants of Clark County, He was born in Tennessee on March
11, 1842, but has been a resident of Arkansas since 1854, at which time
he came here with his parents. He was married to Miss. M. E. Hart (a
native of Georgia, born April 11, 1842) in 1865, and to them have born
nine children, seven now living: Emma J. (wife of Dr. Palmer, now
living in Pike County, Ark.), John H., Ella E. (aged eighteen,
deceased), Willie W., Douglas, Eula, Georgia and Lolo. During the late
unpleasantness between the North and South, Mr. Carter enlisted in
Company H, Twenty - Third Arkansas Infantry, under Capt. A. A.
Pennington, and was in the battles of Corinth, Port Hudson and was in
all of the principle engagements during his service. He was captured at
Port Hudson and was first taken to Johnson's Island, later to Ohio,
where he was retained for about nine months, and then taken Point
Lookout, where he remained three months. He was then removed to Morris
Island, S. C., where he remained forty - two days, after which he was
taken back on board a ship on the ocean, and after remaining on that for
three weeks was carried to Port Pulaski. Five months later he was take
back to Fort Delaware, where he remained for three months, and where in
meantime he took the oath of Allegiance. Returning to his home in
Arkansas in 1865, he engaged in farming, and this has continued up until
the present. He is the owner of 800 acres of good land, and has about
250 acres under cultivation. He has the finest fruit farm in the
county, and has 1,200 Lecont pear trees, 1,600 peach trees, 1,200 of
which are now bearing, 150 plum trees and 1,200 grapevines. In 1885 he
was appointed postmaster of Hearn post - office and one year later
commenced merchandising. He is a member of the Methodist Protestant and
his wife is a member of the Presbyterian Church. His parents, John B.
and Nancy (Cilaman) Carter were natives of Tennessee, born January 2,
1812 and 1815 respectively. they were married in Tennessee, in 1835, and
became the parents of nine children, four of whom are now living:
Lavinia ( wife of John L. Atwood), Lizzie (wife of William Hart), A. N.
and G. W. The father emigrated from Tennessee to Arkansas in 1854 and
settled in Clark County. Socially he was a member of the Masonic
fraternity. The mother died in 1861 and the father took for his second
wife Mrs. Jane Hart in 1866. She was a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church and died in 1882. Mr. Carter died in 1876. Both he
and his first wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church also.