Dr. Hendrick H. Arnold , planter, Arkadelphia, Ark. Dr. Arnold, well known
to almost all residents of this portion of the county, was born in South
Carolina on the 1st of January 1822, and is a son of Ira and Mary (Saxon)
Arnold. Ira Arnold was also a native of South Carolina, born in 1791, and
was a reared on a farm. He spent the principal part of his life engaged in
the mercantile business. He was justice of peace in the state of South
Carolina for a number of years, and filled that position with credit to
himself and satisfaction to the people. He died in 1858, in full communion
with the Baptist Church. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity. The
mother was a native of Lawrence County, S.C., born in 1798, and died in her
native state in 1872. She was also a member of the Baptist Church. They
were married about 1814, and the result of this union was eight children,
four of whom are now living: Dr. Hendrick H., David S. (now residing at
Prescott, Ark.) Sallie (wife of Jackson Roalen, now residing in South
Carolina) and Mary (wife of Isaac Hening, residing in South Carolina).
Dr. Hendrick H. Arnold was married on the 19th of July 1849 to Miss Ann H.
Ross, a native of Dallas County, Ala., born August 5, 1834, and the
daughter of Peter and Temperance (Arnold) Ross. Mr. and Mrs. Ross emigrated
from Alabama to Arkansas in 1842, settled in Clark County, and there Mr.
Ross died in 1850. Mrs. Ross was a native of Kentucky, born November 25,
1780, and died September 27, 1870. Both she and her husband were members
of the Methodist Church. They were the parents of nine children, Mrs.
Arnold the only one now living. To Dr. and Mrs. Arnold were born two
children: Edgar R. and William B. Dr. Arnold graduated in medicine in the
Lexington (Ky.) Transylvania Medical College in 1841 and 1842. He
practiced about sixteen years in Clark County of this state, but since
the war he has turned his attention principally to farming. In 1863 he
enlisted in the Confederate army under Capt. R.E. Reeds, and after serving
twelve months he was discharged. He participated in the battles of Marks
Mill and Poison Springs. Dr. Arnold is the owner of 700 acres of land, has
good substantial buildings, and is engaged in raising a good grade of
stock. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and Mrs. Arnold is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.|