Charles Haynes Hale

___________________________________________________________________________
                                                                           
HALE, CHARLES HAYNES (1869-1969). Charles Haynes Hale, teacher and college
administrator, was born on November 14, 1869, near Highland, Pike County,
Arkansas, the oldest of five children of James Thomas and Eliza (Watson)
Hale. He moved with his family to Bell County, Texas, in 1883, then in
1885 to Flatwoods (now Huckabay) in Erath County. There he received his
early education and earned a teacher's certificate. In 1889, after
teaching in country schools for about two years, he entered Add-Ran-Jarvis
College in Thorp Springs (Hood County), where he attended for two terms.
On June 4, 1891, he married Dora Copeland, and they had five children;
Dora died on November 10, 1917.

In 1900 Hale attended a pharmaceutical school in Eureka Springs, Arkansas,
and opened a drugstore in Huckabay. In 1902, concerned about the lack of
education beyond the eighth grade for the youth in his home county, he
opened Huckabay Academy, a combination high school and prep school. In five
years the institution grew to an enrollment of over 100 students. Hale ran
the academy until 1914, when he sold it to R.C. Bowers and accepted a
teaching position in the mathematics department at Abilene Christian
College (now Abilene Christian University). A year later he took a similar
faculty position at John Tarleton College (now Tarleton State University)
in Stephenville. In 1920 he was chosen as copresident of Thorp Springs
Christian College in Hood County. He became superintendent of schools at
Bellevue in Clay County two years later and subsequently accepted a similar
position at Ralls in Crosby County. In 1925 Hale returned to Tarleton,
where he remained in the mathematics and education departments until his
retirement in 1945. During his tenure he helped change Tarleton into a
state college. Through the years Hale earned B.S., B.A., and M.A. degrees.
Texas Christian University conferred an honorary doctor of laws degree on
him in 1952. He died on February 3, 1969, and was buried in Stephenville.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Erath County Historical Commission, History of Erath County
... 1878-1980 (Dublin, Texas, 1980). Stephenville Empire-Tribune, February
7, 1969.
___________________________________________________________________________

H. Allen Anderson  The Texas State Historical Association, 1997, 1998,
1999. The Handbook of Texas Online: joint project of The General Libraries
at the University of Texas at Austin and the Texas State Historical
Association.
___________________________________________________________________________

Update 03.19.01              David Kelley 1999                 BIO-0125.HTM