____________________________________________________________________________ Augustus H. Palmer, merchant, Rock Creek, Ark. Mr. Palmer is a man of good business experience, progressive in his ideas, and well understands how to suit the desires and wishes of those buying from him. He was originally from Walton County, Ga., where his birth occurred August 8, 1838, and is the fifth of nine children born to the union of Augustus H. and Sarah (Power) Palmer, the father a native of Connecticut, and the mother of Georgia. The parents were married in Georgia about 1827, and moved from there to Alabama, where they resided until 1860, when they came to Arkansas. They settled in Columbia County, and there made their home until the death of the father, which occurred in 1867, at the age of sixty-one years. The father was a graduate of the Forsyth Medical College in Georgia, and practiced his profession the principal part of his life. He was also a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, being ordained in Georgia, in 1826, and was a merchant and farmer. The mother died in Pike County, Ark., in 1885, at the advanced age of eighty-two years. Her father was a native of Ireland. Augustus H. Palmer, Mr., was reared in Alabama, received a good education in the common schools, and commenced working for himself at the age of twenty years. He was married to Miss Martha Phillips, a native of Alabama, and the daughter of Jesse and Martha Phillips, who spent their latter years in Alabama. Eleven children were born to this union, none now living: Emma H. (deceased), William B., Marietta, Ada, Clayton (deceased), Luther, Augustus, Mattie, Sallie N., Leonard and Rosa E. Marietta was married, in 1883, to Dr. W.S. Watson, a successful physician of Kirby, Ark., and Ada married L. Walker, who resides at Nashville, Ark. Mr. Palmer enlisted in the Confederate army, in 1862, as a private in Company K, Monroe's regiment, and participated in the following battles: Prairie, Grove, Kansas City, and was in numerous skirmishes. Returning to his home in Columbia County, after the war, Mr. Palmer engaged in farming, but in 1867 moved to his present farm in Pike County, where he is the owner of about 360 acres of land, and has about 230 acres under cultivation. He also owns one-half interest in the store of Palmer & Haygood, merchants at Rock Creek, which store does an annual business of $8,000. Mr. and Mrs. Palmer are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Republican in politics. ____________________________________________________________________________ Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas, 1890, Pike County, page 335. ____________________________________________________________________________ HTML file and design by David Kelley, 1997. All rights reserved.